Sunday, October 16, 2016

"Khan/Koller Review"

My impression of Khan Academy

I recently visited the site called Khan Academy and I was very impressed by the site itself. The site wasn’t just colorful, but simply easy to navigate. I liked the fact that the site used subjects and broke it down to various topics of that subject with appropriate videos. It was as easy as turning the pages of a book without effort. This site is truly driven by one’s desire to learn, if you want to learn anything about Math ( from K- 8 grade& High school) , Arts & Humanities , Economics & Finance ,  Computing & Science Engineering, it’s there.

I can see myself using this site not just for myself to brush up on some skills, but also with my students. Since our students are intrigued by technology, this is a wonderful site for them to explore topics like the Aztec Sun Stone or “What advice can Salman Khan give Lebron James” both of these great topics with engaging videos to watch and learn from .

 I believe that Salman Khan is right when he says that in the future ,we will rely more on “credentialing” through the use of online courses. More and people are relying on technology and it’s use, so to take advantage of learning from the safety and comfort of their homes. Especially students who may home schooled, sick or can’t handle  large groups of social interactions.
 
My impression of Coursera
 
When I explored the Coursera course offerings, I was very interested in their Language Learning course. I would like to explore the option of their online courses available.  I am not aware if Columbus State accepts Coursera transfer credits as I didn’t see their name, nor the names of the Universities the instructors  of  Coursera come from under the “Transfer & Articulation” section of the school website. However, with the growing population of people taking courses at Coursera, I wouldn’t be surprised that eventually credits from them  can be transferred to Columbus State.

The courses at Coursera appear to be more interesting than those I have taken or experienced before because of the 8-12 minutes interactive lessons. I also think because there’s that community of Global learners that can help with questions is forever evolving the learning experience. I wouldn’t say that my opinion of who is teaching at Coursera  has anything to do with my decision of maybe taking courses there, however , it’s the method of instruction that intrigues me.


I really believe that MOOCs ( massive open online courses) are the "wave of the future" because of the leaps and bounds we have with technology right now.  Eventually I believe that all teachers will need to know how to give engaging instruction online for all students because  that will become the norm of our society  

No comments:

Post a Comment